There are no medications to treat fibromyalgia, just to relieve some symptoms.
There is no known treatment to cure fibromyalgia. In fact, it is believed that the more medications the patient takes with this pathology, the worse the prognosis will be. This is because many drugs contain chemical compounds that worsen the health of a high percentage of patients with fibromyalgia, because they have a certain chemical sensitivity, being more susceptible to adverse reactions. Lyrica is best medication for the treatment of fibromyalgia but it is expensive. You can buy it at low price if you Lyrica Coupon.
In the treatment of fibromyalgia, drugs and non-pharmacological measures are used:
Pharmacological treatment for fibromyalgia
Your goal is:
- Ease the pain.
- Improve the quality of sleep.
- Eliminate asthenia and associated problems.
- Maintain and restore emotional balance.
Medications for fibromyalgia
At the moment there is no drug in Europe authorized by the European Medicines Agency indicated in the treatment of fibromyalgia. The following are the most commonly used drugs for the relief of fibromyalgia symptoms:
- Analgesics: tramadol, paracetamol, or the combination of both drugs.
- Anti-inflammatories: in studies investigating the results of treatment with these drugs, there has been no evidence of effectiveness in the treatment of fibromyalgia symptoms. Therefore, its use is not recommended in a systematic way.
- Benzodiazepines (muscle relaxants, anxiolytics): should be used with caution because of the risk of dependence, and they have not shown effectiveness either.
- Other muscle relaxants, such as cyclobenzaprine, have obtained a good result for symptomatic management, due to a real effect similar to antidepressants.
- Anticonvulsants: gabapentin and pregabalin. In clinical trials have shown decreased pain and fatigue, and improved sleep and quality of life.
- Antidepressants: Amitriptyline could be considered as a first-line drug for the treatment of fibromyalgia, especially if the patient has difficulty sleeping or mood disorders. Other antidepressants: fluoxetine, paroxetine, duloxetine and venlafaxine.
- Other drugs such as: steroids, opioids (major analgesics), melatonin , have not shown efficacy, and also have numerous side effects
Non-pharmacological treatment for fibromyalgia
It aims to improve the functional ability and quality of life of people with fibromyalgia. Its pillars are:
- Patient education.
- Realization of a program of exercises and suitable stretches.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy.
In most cases it will be advisable to use a multiple strategy, combining different therapeutic possibilities, emphasizing the advice to maintain the activity, since patients must always remain active.
We must insist on the need to provide basic information to patients about this condition and the best way to manage therapeutic options. In cases where it is considered necessary, patients must be motivated to carry out self-help programs.
- Physical activity (physical exercise): the performance of a supervised exercise program, can have beneficial effects on the physical capacity of the patient and the symptoms of fibromyalgia in the short term. It must be personalized, with a physical activity performed 2-3 times a week, of gradual onset, and avoiding exercises that cause pain by forcing a certain area. The most appropriate physical activity is aerobic, such as gymnastics, dance, swimming and water aerobics. Aerobic exercise helps improve performance and sometimes helps lower the pain threshold.
- Psychological therapy Cognitive behavioral therapy: is based on the idea that the perceptions that the individual has about himself and his environment affect his emotions and behavior. The aspects that characterize the disease must be evaluated: knowledge of the disease, involvement in daily life and the ability to cope with it.
The objective of the therapy is to modify the person’s idea of their pain so that they adopt a more positive attitude towards the disease. There is very coherent evidence about the results of treatments, both psychological and behavioral, in fibromyalgia. Reduces the intensity of pain and fatigue, and improves mood and functional capacity.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is carried out in weekly sessions lasting approximately two hours, in groups, and proposing a series of useful strategies to address various aspects of the disease, with a practical approach in the usual environment.
Other alternative treatments for fibromyalgia
- Hypnotherapy and meditation based on relaxation: it has not been shown that pain and functional capacity improve.
- Injection at tender points, transcutaneous nerve stimulation and laser treatment have not shown efficacy.
- Acupuncture: has not shown favorable results either.
Conclusions about the treatment of fibromyalgia
In relation to the treatment of fibromyalgia, several points must be taken into account:
- The treatment of fibromyalgia requires a multidisciplinary approach, that is, it requires the collaboration of several specialists: family doctors, rheumatologists, psychologists and physiotherapists.
- In some Spanish Communities, there are specific units for the treatment of fibromyalgia, such as Catalonia and the Basque Country.
- The ultimate goal of treatment is to improve patient care with fibromyalgia: perform an early diagnosis, with an early therapeutic start and avoiding unnecessary diagnostic tests, as well as promoting access from the health system to psychotherapy treatments and physical activities.
- In general, the combination of pharmacological treatment with an exercise program is associated with better results than exercise in isolation.